Lunar New Year is a festival that celebrates the beginning of the New Year on the traditional lunar calendar. The first day of Lunar New Year begins on the new moon that appears between January 21 and February 20. In 2022, Lunar New Year festivities will begin Tuesday, February 1 and honor the Year of the Tiger. Lunar New Year is one of the most important holidays in Asian culture and is celebrated worldwide in regions and countries including Vietnam, South Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines, and Mauritius, as well as by many in Europe and the U.S., including our own Palo Alto!
Prepare Your Home
Days before the Lunar New Year, families will often give their homes a thorough cleaning, as doing so sweeps away the bad luck of the previous year and makes their homes ready for good luck.
- Great books on Cleaning and Getting Organized, opens a new window
- Places to donate items you no longer need:
- Attend one of our virtual Lunar New Year Storytimes, opens a new window from Tuesday, February 1 to Friday, February 4 at 11:00 a.m. on Facebook, opens a new window Live!
- Enjoy a virtual lion dance and percussion performance by Leung's White Crane Association on Wednesday, February 9 at 4:00 p.m. Register, opens a new window to receive the Zoom link.
PACL @ Home
- Read about Lunar New Year at home with these great books, opens a new window!
- Decorate! Find lots of great Lunar New Year crafts and activities you can do at home on our Lunar New Year board on Pinterest.
- Feeling crafty? Learn how to make a Dragon Puppet, opens a new window on our PACL YouTube, opens a new window page.
eLibrary Resources (available with your library card, opens a new window)
- Find ebooks and audiobooks on Hoopla, opens a new window
- Read Nonfiction and fiction books paired together on Bookflix, opens a new window
- Learn more about tigers, opens a new window with Britannica School
And Don't Forget...
- If you create anything at home please share your creations with us on Instagram and tag @PaloAltoLibrary!
- Follow Us on all of our social media platforms for more information and inspiration!
Palo Alto City Library wishes everyone a very safe and happy Lunar New Year!
Alicia Hulten, Youth Services Librarian, Mitchell Park Library | Follow @MissAlicia on Bibliocommons