Donations for the Collection
The Library accepts donations of books and media materials in good condition, reserving the right to reject a donated item for any reason. All donations are subject to the following provisions:
- A donated item becomes the property of the Palo Alto City Library.
- The Library is under no obligation to add a donated item to the collection or to notify
the donor of the disposition of that item.
- A donated item may be reviewed for possible addition to the Library’s collection,
based on condition and customary selection criteria.
- Items not added to the collection are given to the Friends of the Palo Alto Library for
their book sales, proceeds of which benefit the Library. Once transferred to the
Friends, items become their property.
- Small quantities of donated items (up to one bag or box) are accepted at library
facilities, but it is recommended that donations be taken directly to the Friends’ book
sale room, located at the Cubberley Community Center, 4000 Middlefield Road, Palo
Alto. See the FOPAL website for open times or make an appointment by calling (650)-213-8755. Pick-ups can be arranged for large donations.
- Donation-receipt forms are available upon request at the time of donation and are
completed by donors. Values are assigned by donors, not by library staff. Donations
to the library may be eligible for tax donations; check with your tax advisor.
Monetary donations in support of the Library’s collections are welcome and may be made to the Library Lovers’ Fund, administered by the Friends of the Palo Alto Library, or to the Palo Alto Library Foundation. The Library reserves the right to accept or decline conditions placed upon such donations.
Review or solicitation copies submitted for consideration as potential acquisitions are
accepted under the same terms as those for donated items.
Excerpted from the Palo Alto City Library Collection Development Policy, March 2011