The Library automated system will automatically renew eligible materials checked out on customers’ accounts, extending a full loan period from the original due date. Materials that are not eligible for renewal due to library policy will not be auto-renewed. Items that are not auto-renewed will keep their original due date.
Ineligible library materials
Library materials that are not eligible for auto-renewal include:
- Items that are requested by another customer
- Items that have already been renewed 3 times
- Items that are not eligible for renewals (such as Lucky Day materials, magazines, Chromebooks, LINK+ 7-day loans, hourly loans and the like).
- Digital items, such as e-Books, e-Audiobooks, e-Movies, e-Music, etc.
- Items on accounts with fines and fees that are $10 or over
- Items on accounts where that item has already been 10 days overdue
Our automated system will renew item(s) 2 days before their due date. Customer will still receive a full loan period from the initial due date. A courtesy message is sent 2 days prior to the original due date. It will display the new due date if the item can be auto-renewed.
Customers who have an email address in their account will receive the standard courtesy notice 2 days prior to the due date of their item. This notice will indicate the new due date of any items that were eligible for auto-renewal and list the original due date for those items that were not eligible. These notices are only sent out via email and will be titled “Palo Alto City Library Courtesy Notice.”
If customers do not have an email listed in their account and therefore do not receive an emailed courtesy notice, their eligible items will still be automatically renewed. Customers can check the status and due dates of their items by logging into their account via the Palo Alto City Library website.