Join us throughout June as we stand with our community to celebrate equality, love, acceptance, and all things Pride. Commemorating the anniversary of New York City’s Stonewall Riots, communities around the world now gather every June to demonstrate support of the LGBTQ+ community. Though we may not be able to step out in style to walk a parade route this year, Library staff have found plenty of ways to celebrate at home all month long.
This year San Francisco Pride’s parade is going virtual with a two-day online celebration and rally June 27, 1-9 p.m. and June 28, 2-7 p.m. highlighting performances and messages from the local LGBTQ+ community, not-to-be-missed drag and dance performances, DJ sets, and much more.
Can’t wait? Celebrate Pride all month with virtual events hosted by the local LGBTQ+ community. Here are just a few gems highlighted by librarians:
- A Talk with Author, Lexie Bean, Saturday June 6 from 5-7 PM
- Pride 2020: Resilience Through a Historic Year, Wednesday, June 10 from 1-2 PM
- Queer Women of Color Film Festival, Friday June 12 – Sunday June 14 from 7-9PM
- Pride Storytime!, Saturday June 20 from 4-5 PM
- Laugh with Pride, Sunday June 21 from 11-12 PM
- Pride Netflix Party Festival, Monday June 22 – Sunday June 28 from 6-8 PM
- Keep an eye out for our Pride storytimes on Facebook every Wednesday at 10:30 AM. Find all of our PACL storytimes and singalongs on YouTube!
As you get ready for these special events, don’t forget to prepare for the occasion! Need inspiration? No problem! Pull out your Palo Alto Library Card and check out these free digital resources today.
- Dress to impress with classic costume inspiration from fashion trends through the decades using the Fashion, Costume, and Culture digital resource
- House party for one? Turn up the music and dance to your favorite hits from Freegal Music
- Host a virtual watch party or just kick back and chill with Kanopy’s Celebrate Pride Month film collection
If reading a book with a nice cup of (iced) tea is more your speed, we’ve got you covered as well! Browse the eLibrary to find the perfect Pride read. If you’re not sure where to start, our librarians are here to help with book lists for all ages.
- Rainbow Reads for Kids
- LGBTQ+ Inclusive Middle-Grade Books
- Rainbow Reads for Teens
- Rainbow Reads: Graphic Novel Edition for Teens
- LGBTQ+ e-Reads for Adults
- LGBTQ+ Romance for Adults
Still don’t see what you’re looking for? Consider trying the Library’s newest service Shelf Made to receive five customized recommendations tailored to your interests and your mood.